Make your own free website on


70. Leon Walbridge HAMMOND (16) (34)(35) (36)(37) was born on 27 Aug 1869 in Attica, Wyoming, NY.(38) (35)(16) He died on 25 Mar 1950 in Everett, Snohomish, WA. (38)(16) He died at home [3421 Colby Ave.] of cereboral hemorhage. He was cremated on 27 Mar 1950 in View Crest Abbey, Everett, Snohomish, WA.(16) Pallbearers were Charles Dobler, J.B. Magill, Jim Patrick, Toni Warnock, John Smith, and Alfred Tunem. Leon was an artist and poet. In our Family History he is said to have started the Palmer Penmanship Method used in schools[now proven untrue!]. They moved to Everett, Snohomish Washington in 1904. In 1906 Leon operated the Everett Sign Co. at 2932 Lombard Ave[ now a parking lot]. In 1919 and 1925 his shop was located at 2925 Rockefeller. They lived at 3421 Colby Ave. [ now part of an apartment complex ] in Everett [first directory mention of this address is 1919], and Leon also had the Everett Art Studio and Hammond Sign Service at the same address. In 1952 and 1964 Catharine was still living at the same address. They were members of the Trinity Episcopal Church. Leon was a member of the Peninsular Lodge, F&AM, and a life member of the BPOE.
About 1997 when I visited "Aunt Nette"(Jeanette [Wicks ]Edson), she opened up her cedar chest and started pulling out stuff that she wanted me (Betty Thomas) to have. She had a box with ribbons( the kind with a pin back and writing on the front) in it. She thought they were school ribbons and she didn't know who had collected them or where she got them from. After looking them over ( about 50 of them!), they were mostly from Bicycle clubs (about 1880-90s) in NY, NJ, MA, and a couple other places. There were also a few from various NY Fire Companies and a few others from the "Select Knights" and "GAR". I took them all to the Genesee County Historian to see if she had any ideas. By then I sort of thought they might be Leon's. I checked their newspaper index for any mentions of bicycle clubs. Sure enough, there was one about a formation of a bicycle club in Batavia!
May 5, 1891- Batavia Daily News A meeting of bicycle riders was held last evening and a club organized. The following are the officers elected: President, O.C. Steele; Vice President, Fred Foster; Secretary, L.W. Hammond; Treasurer, Burt Jones; Trustees, Edward Ackes, George Bigelow, Burt Spafford; Captain, Fred Foster; First Lieutenant, Charles A Weaver; Second Lieutenant, Edward Ackes; Bugler, Charles Lorish; Color Bearer, Charles Thomas. A committee was appointed to engage suitable rooms for the club, which are expected to be furnished in good style. It will be the headquarters of Batavia riders, and out of town riders will be welcome at any time. The charter fee was fixed at 50 cents which will be held open until June 1st, after which it will be $1. The club will be known as the "Batavia Wheelmen."
There were several articles about bicycle events/ races that were held in Batavia-- so I guess he collected them like they do pins at the Olympics, from all the groups that attended. I guess that he left them all behind with his mother or sister Lois when he moved to Everett. I gave two of the ribbons ( Batavia Wheelman) to the Land Office Museum in Batavia.
Batavia Daily News
June 5, 1885
A schedule of assets and liabilities of Oscar D. Hammond was filed in the County Clerk's office this morning. The liabilities aggregate $2,570.06 and the assets foot up $1,613.31, of which $147.62 are accounts, the bulk being stock. A bond of the assignee, Wilber Smith, in the sum of $3,200 was also filed.
August 21, 1891
A Conspiracy Charge
Not a little surprise was caused on the street this morning by the arrest at the instigation of Postmaster Tarbox of Leon W. Hammond, junior member of the well-known firm of Hammond & Son, harness dealers at No. 108 Main street, and a young man named Halsey Haller. It was reported that the young men had been arrested for attempting to have a Post Office money order for $20 cashed at the Post Office, which belonged to B.F. Hamilton, Secretary of the Genesee County Building Association.
A reporter of The News followed Officer Casazza and the two young men under arrest to the office of Police Justice Webster, where he learned young Hammond's story of the affair. He said that young Haller is a cousin of his and a brother of Eugene Haller, who was drowned a few years ago at the time of the steamboat catastrophe on the Tonawanda creek near the Prof. Pratt place on South street. He lives in Wyoming and for some time had been at work on the Lehigh Valley railroad at Buffalo until a few days ago, when on account of sore feet he had quit work and has since been visiting his relatives in this village.
Early this morning, Leon Hammond said, his cousin was standing in front of the store when a stranger came along and offered to sell him a $20 money order for $1. The stranger told Haller that all he would have to do would be to say that his name was B.F. Hamiton in order to get the order cashed. Haller paid the dollar and almost immediately started for the Post Office, accompanied by young Hammond, who said he went along to show his cousin the way to the office. Hammond claimed that on learning that there was some mistake, as the order was for B.F. Hamilton, he told Postmaster Tarbox to keep the order until they found out about it.
Justice Webster at that moment entered his office, and Hammond's stony was interrupted. The Justice informed the young men that they had been arrested on the charge of conspiracy for attempting to defraud B.F. Hamilton out of $20. He gave them the instructions usually given in criminal cases and asked them if they wished to obtain counsel, saying that , If they did, the constable would accompany them. The young business man, being apparently unaware of the seriousness of the charge said: "I don't think we'll need any," and expressed a desire to have the examination take place this morning. The Justice said that it could not probably come off before afternoon.
Postmaster Tarbox said to the reporter that he was in charge of the Money Order Department when at about 8:30 o'clock Haller, who was accompanied by Hammond, presented an order for $20 at the window to be cashed. On looking at the letter of advice corresponding in number with the order he ascertained that the order was drawn in favor of B.F. Hamilton. He asked Haller if his name was Hamilton, and upon being answered affirmatively informed the young man that there was another B.F. Hamilton in town and that he [Haller] , being a stranger, would have to be identified. At that Haller said " this man knows me," turning toward young Hammond. He then stammered and corrected himself by saying that his name was not Hamilton, but that young Hammond was. Being asked by the Postmaster where he obtained the order Haller said he bought it, afterwards correcting himself and saying that some fellow gave it to him. Mr. Tarbox at once suspected all was not right and told the young men to find, if they could, the stranger who sold or gave the order to Haller.
Postmaster Tarbox subsequently directed Officer Casazza to place the young men under arrest and escort them to Justice Webster's Office. He then sent an officer after Mr. Hamilton, in whose favor the order was drawn, and afterward telegraphed United States District Attorney Alexander of Buffalo to come himself or send an assistant to Batavia to take change of the matter.
The money order was dated Rochester, August 18th [Tuesday], and if it were promptly mailed arrived here on Wednesday. All that day Mr. Hamilton's office was open and the letter containing the order was not delivered to him. He has never seen it. It is the theory of the postmaster that the letter may have been left at Hammond & Son's store by mistake by Letter Carrier Vrooman, who is a substitute carrier and is now on duty in the absence of Carrier Wakeman. Postmaster Tarbox visited Hammond & Son's in search of the envelope, but was unable to find it. Another theory is that the letter may have been dropped accidentally on the street by the carrier and that Haller or Hammond picked it up.
The young men and O.D. Hammond, father of Leon, were all seen at the store at noon. None of them knew anything about the letter that contained the money order. Both members of the firm said that no such letter had been delivered there and Haller said the stranger from whom he obtained the order showed no letter or envelope in which the order must have travelled through the mails. Haller said that he paid the stranger $1 for the order. The senior member of the firm said that occasionally "Hamilton" mail is left at the store by the carrier by mistake, some of Hamilton & Son's mail having been left several times. B.F. Hamilton said that the order was from James W. Cary, a former resident of Otis street, who is now employed in Rochester. The remittance was for Association dues.
The Hon. George Bowen had been retained to look after the interests of the young men.
J.B. Colt of Buffalo, United States Deputy Marshal came to Batavia this afternoon to look after the matter. At 8 o'clock the question was still under consideration whether Justice Webster had jurisdiction in the case or whether it should be taken before United States Commissioner W. Harris Day.
August 22, 1891
The supposition that a crime against the United States had been committed, together with the fact that one of the accused was well-known in this village, attracted to the office of Police justice Webster yesterday afternoon a crowd of spectators who were curious to know what would be the outcome of the examination. of Leon W. Hammond of this village and his cousin, Halsey Haller of Wyoming who were under arrest charged with conspiring to defraud B. F. Hamilton our of $20.
Upon being told the circumstances of the case Deputy Untied States Marshal Colt at once said he believed it to be a crime against the United States Government, because it was committed in a building rented by the government, and he continued to hold to that opinion. He therefore asked Justice Webster to send the case before United States Commissioner W. Harris Day for examination. This the Justice declined to do. He doubted his right to send a case from a Court of Special Statutes to the United States Court for examination. He thought that if the examination were to take place in the United States Court the warrant of arrest should be issued from that court.
Deputy Marshal Colt and Postmaster Tarbox visited Commissioner Day at his office, but that legal gentleman was unable upon examination of the United States Statutes, to find authority for issuing a warrant so the others returned to Justice Webster's office, where at 2:15 o'clock District Attorney Weed asked for an adjournment until this morning. To that defendant's counsel the Hon. George Bowen, objected. Justice Webster said that the other gentleman had not been idle; that the question of jurisdiction had been under discussion and he believed that if an adjournment were taken until this afternoon the defendants would still
have an immediate examination within the statute.
Counselor Bowen then waived examination in behalf of the young men, and they gave bail in the sum of $200 each to await the action of the grand jury in November. Their surety was Mrs. O. D. Hammond, mother of one of the defendants.

October 24, 1891
The case of Leon W. Hammond of Batavia and his cousin Halsey Haller of Wyoming, who were arrested in this village on August 21st last on the charge of conspiracy in attempting to have cashed at the Post Office a money order for $20 which was the property of B.F. Hamilton, as Secretary of the Genesee County Loan Association, has been taken into the Untied States Court. United States Deputy Marshall J. B. Colt of Buffalo came to Batavia yesterday afternoon, and last evening took young Hammond to Buffalo. Haller had been taken into custody on Thursday night.
Hammond and Haller appeared at the money order window of the Batavia Post Office at about 8 am on August 21st. Haller presented a $20 money order to Post master Tarbox, who was in charge, and asked that it be cashed. The money order bore no name. The Post master consulted the money order advice, which bore the payee's name, and learned that the order was payable to B.F. Hamilton. Asked if that was his name Haller replied affirmatively, and upon being informed that as there was another B.F. Hamilton in town he would have to be identified he turned to Hammond , saying: "This man knows me'. Then he corrected himself and said his name was not Hamilton, but that Hammond's was. Haller asked where he obtained the order, said at first that the had bought it, but afterwards said he had found it. Postmaster Tarbox refused to cash the order, and the young men were arrested. The next day, on advice of their counsel, the Hon. George Bowen, the defendants waived examination and were admitted to bail in the sum of $200, furnished by young Hammond's mother, to await the action of the grand jury, which meets on November 9th.
It appears that Deputy Marshal Colt has interested himself in the case since that time, and it is said he has secured a confession from Haller. Haller is reported to have said that the letter addressed to Mr. Hamiton was left through Carrier Vrooman's error at the store of Hammond & Son, where it was opened. Haller was anxious to go away at that time and said to Hammond; " I wish I had some money.," "You can get some easy enough" Hammond is said to have replied, "by taking this money order over to the Post Office and signing your name."
Hammond produced the order and the two went to the Post Office with it. Haller said he had the letter that contained it in his possession at that time and that when Postmaster Tarbox was engaged in conversation with Hammond he [Haller] placed the letter in a steam radiator, near the money order window. If that is so the letter probably fell to the floor and was swept away.
Today the matter, which is now more serious than it has been, will receive attention before a United States Commissioner in Buffalo. Postmaster Tarbox and O.D. Hammond, father of one of the defendants went to Buffalo this morning to be present at the hearing.

October 26, 1891
The case of Leon W. Hammond of Batavia and his cousin, Halsey Haller of Wyoming, which was brought before United States Commissioner Strong in Buffalo on Saturday, was adjourned until November 15th. It has been discovered that there is no Untied States law making a attempt, only, to have post office money order cashed, a crime, so the young men could not be held on that charge. The charge on which they were held on their own recognizance, was that of opening a letter belonging to another person. The penalty for this crime is five years imprisonment, which Assistant District Attorney Ferguson, as well as Postmaster Tarbox, thought was altogether woo sever for the young men. The case was therefore adjourned until November 15th.
If in the meantime the young men procure affidavits from leading citizens of Batavia to the effect that they have never before been charged with crime, the matter will not be prosecuted further.

March 16, 1899
The "Robert Morris Cigar Factory" is the name of a new industry in Batavia, of which L. W. Hammond is the proprietor. The factory will be situated in the second story of the Concert Hall Building, at the corner of Main and State Streets and work will be begun in it tomorrow. The foreman will be Fred Hooker, who has been foreman of the Genesee Valley cigar factory in Batavia for some time. Mr. Hammond will confine himself to the manufacture of two brands, the "The Robert Morris," a 10 cent cigar and a 5 cent brand. the Morris cigars are now being made for him by J.F. Garnier of Batavia, the Optimate company of Syracuse and a factory in Binghamton. He expects to employ a large force.
Mr. Hammond is selling the cigars by means of the endless chain system, which enables a person to get a box of 25 free of charge. The system is started by sending out a coupon, upon return of which, with 25 cents, the sender receives six coupons. These he sells for 5 cents each and the purchasers, in turn do as he did. When a chain of seven coupons is completed, the buyer of the first one receives his cigars.
Mr. Hammond started the system on Monday morning, and the number of coupons already issued calls for 20,000 cigars. He has four clerks at work now, issuing and recording the coupons.
August 16, 1899
An action brought by Miss Harriet L. Holter against L.W. Hammond, to recover $13 alleged to be due for one month's rent of house the No. 8 Morton Avenue, was tried before Justice Shedd and jury today. The defendant rented a house of the plaintiff for one year, but moved out at the end of 11 months. Considerable difficulty was experience in obtaining a jury, as seven out of the original panel went to Rochester to attend the races. After being out about 15 minutes the jury brought in a verdict for the full amount claimed. Harlan Allen appeared for Miss Holter and Webster & Stedman for Mr. Hammond.
June 6, 1901
L.W. Hammond has assumed a position as salesman for the Bartholomew Company of Des Monins, IA, manufacturers of coffee and peanut roasters. He has sold peanut machines to George W. Koons, Arthur H. Marshall and Scheck's confectionery store.
November 24, 1903
Leon W. Hammond, a former well known Batavian, is now the senior member of the firm of Hammond & Paschke, which conducts extensive poultry yards at Everett, Wash. The Everett Heralds says that a White Plymouth Rock pullet owned by the firm laid an egg, the fifteenth one in 15 consecutive days, measuring 8 1/4 and 6 3/4 inches.
From History of Snohomish Co. WA 1926-
No profession today requires more skill and scientific study than advertising. Leon W. Hammond of Everett, measures up in full to its requirements and his achievements in this connection have brought him more than local prominence. He was born in Attica, New York in 1869 and his parents, Oscar D. and Ellen A. (Walbridge) Hammond, are deceased. His father was a manufacturer and valiantly defended the Union cause during the Civil War. Leon W. Hammond received a public school education and also completed a course in a business college. His first experience along commercial lines was gained in the employ of his father, who was a manufacturer of harness and bicycles, and he afterward operated a business and for seven years was engaged in the manufacture of cigars. In April, 1906, he came to Everett and embarked in the sign-painting business in partnership with N.J. Crague, also handling wall paper. They were associated for two years and later the firm of Hammond & Paschke was formed. This relationship was maintained for ten years and the subject of this sketch has since been sole owner of the business with the exception of one year, during which he was a member of the firm of Hammond & Keith. Mr. Hammond specializes in outdoor advertising and covers this part of the state. His establishment at No. 2922 [ now a parking lot] Rockefeller avenue is twenty-five by one hundred and twenty -five feet in dimensions and the most complete shop of the kind on the coast. He is the acknowledged leader in this field and also conducts a school of sign writing for the Young Men's Christian Association. He taught penmanship for five years in the Acme Business College of Everett and is a handwriting expert of note. He has been chosen to establish the authenticity of numerous documents and has given testimony in cases of this nature in all parts of the west. In 1899 Mr. Hammond married Miss Catharine Higgins, of New York, and to this union has been born a daughter, Carolyn, who resides at home. Mr. Hammond is a republican where national issues are concerned but casts an independent local ballot. He is a Kiwanian and has served as commander of the Sons of Veterans. He belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and his fraternal connections are with the Masons and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Hammond is a high-minded man, who has conscientiously discharged life's duties and responsibilities and what he had accomplished represents the fit utilization of his innate powers and talents.
From Artists of the American West:
Hammond studied with Eustace Ziegler, Edgar Forkner, and Myra Wiggins, and worked in most media.
From Who's Who in Western Art:
Painter [oil, watercolor]; Drawing [pencil, pen and ink, crayon] Pupil of [those listed above]. author of "Pen and Brush Lettering"

He was married to Catharine ( Carra) Evelyn HIGGINS (daughter of Lot Ludow HIGGINS and Abigail Elizabeth BURDICK) on 8 Jun 1898 in Batavia, Genesee, NY.(16) June 9, 1898- Miss Carra Evelyn Higgins and Leon Walbridge Hammond were united in marriage at their new home, no. 8 Morton Ave., Batavia, NY. at 8 o'clock last evening by the Rev. J. H. Mason. They were married under a purple and white bell and the wedding march was played by Miss Lois Hammond, sister of the groom. The bridesmaids were Miss Florence Goodridge of Batavia, Miss Buelah Monroe of Warsaw, Miss Mabel Rex and Miss Nellie Storts of Dale. Miss Ernestine Fuller was the flower girl. The bride wore light violet, trimmed with purple, white liberty silk and velvet. The bridesmaids wore white organdie. Mr. and Mrs. Hammond left at 10:25 o'clock for a breif trip to PA. The gifts were numerous and included a piano from the groom to the bride. Catharine ( Carra) Evelyn HIGGINS (34)(20) (9) Photo was born on 14 Nov 1875 in Attica, Wyoming, NY.(20) She died in May 1968 in Seattle, King, WA.(20) Catharine's social security # is 533-52-4775 In 1964 the Everett city directory lists her as living at 3308 Colby ave. The 1920 census lists her as a private duty nurse. Leon Walbridge HAMMOND and Catharine ( Carra) Evelyn HIGGINS had the following children:

child+131 i. Carolyn E. HAMMOND.